Alberta Municipal Affairs, in partnership with the Local Government Administration Association and the Alberta Rural Municipal Administrators’ Association, will be continuing the annual Regional Training Sessions for 2017.
The focus of the sessions will be the upcoming changes to the Municipal Government Act (MGA). The Regional Training Sessions are designed to help you prepare for MGA changes and introduce you to the subject area experts who you can reach out to for advice. Municipal Affairs’ Returning Officer Training will also be offered in Round One of the sessions only.
As always the sessions are open to all municipal administrators and staff with participation free of charge.
Round One Sessions | 3 Days | Regional Training Sessions & Returning Officer Training
- Session #1 May 30 – June 1: Town of Olds – 4500 50 St - Olds College
- Session #2 June 6 – 8: City of Spruce Grove – 201 Jennifer Heil Way - Holiday Inn
- Session #3 June 12 – 14: City of Lethbridge – 320 Scenic Dr S - Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre
- Session #4 June 21 – 23: City of Grande Prairie – 12102-100th Street - Stonebridge Hotel
- Session #5 June 27 – 29: Lac La Biche County – AB-881- Lakeland Agricom, Lac La Biche Agricultural Society
Round Two Sessions | 2 Days | Regional Training Sessions Only
- Session #6 August 22 – 23: Town of Drumheller – 80 Veterans Way - Badlands Community Facility
- Session #7 August 29 – 30: Town of Peace River – 9510-100th St – Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre
- Session #8 September 6 – 7: Town of St. Paul – 5310 48 Ave - St. Paul Recreation Centre
- Session #9 September 12 – 13: City of Camrose – 4512 - 53 Street – Camrose Recreation Centre
Please note that detailed agendas for each day will be available on the registration site two weeks prior to the first session and will be forwarded to all registrants along with the session materials. Session materials will be provided in electronic format only and will be available for download.
- Day One - Update on the current status of the amendments and next steps. - Overview and discussion of the new Inter-Municipal Collaboration Frameworks (ICFs). - A review of all major changes to planning documents and processes including Municipal Development plans, reserves, off-site levies, inclusionary housing, the hierarchy of plans and decision making timelines.
- Day Two - Focused on Governance/Administration and Tax/Assessment, day two will inform participants of what’s new in regards to council requirements, administrative roles, municipal purposes, the role of the Ombudsman Office and financial planning requirements. - In addition, the Assessment Services Branch of Municipal Affairs will be bring participants up to date on proposed changes respecting tax and assessment.
- Day Three (Round One Only) - Returning Officer Training - The election process will be reviewed from start to finish, in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA), so that participants are fully prepared to properly conduct a local election.
Please note that you are free to sign up for Regional Training, Returning Officer Training or both, however it is important that each individual attending sign up for Regional Training Sessions and Returning Officer Training separately as organizers require accurate numbers for hosting and logistics.
Registrants will receive an email confirmation once registered. We encourage CAOs to send those staff members they feel would benefit most but would advise that they register early as these sessions will likely fill up quickly.